Nail polish chips because it is made of a material that becomes brittle when exposed to the air. The chipping may is due to several forces, one of which is nail growth. Nail polish also tends to chip when engaged in manual activity or when applied improperly.
Nail polish is primarily made from a material known as nitrocellulose. Nitrocellulose is usually made from cotton that has been treated with various types of acid. It was originally used for camera film in the early 20th century. When used for nail polish it is dissolved in a solvent with added pigments, resins, plasticizers and adhesives.
When nail polish is applied, it adheres to your nails and remains stuck to your nails as it dries. When it dries, the solvents evaporate, and the nitrocellulose becomes a thin, hard film. The strength of the bond between the molecules of the film and between the film and your nail vary depending on how it is applied and how well the nail polish was mixed before being applied.
As time goes on, various factors contribute to nail chipping. The strength of the adhesive bonds of nail polish begin to fade, so some parts of the nail polish are not held onto the nail very tightly. Most nail chipping is due to the nail coming into contact with other solid objects, which simply breaks off pieces. Some nail polish that is adhered strongly to a nail may chip due to nail growth, but often the nail polish simply moves with the nail as it grows.
To prevent nail polish from chipping, it is recommended to make sure your nails are clean and the polish is well-mixed before being applied. It is also recommended that you apply a base coat, allow it to dry, and then apply your polish. Finally, you can apply a top coat that creates a protective barrier between your nail polish and the outside world. Following these steps will greatly reduce nail chipping.
Posted 2936 day ago