Dandruff is a condition, often chronic, that causes skin to flake off the scalp. Dandruff can be accompanied by flaking. Most dandruff is treatable without a doctor, and it rarely causes any problems other than embarrassment. Dandruff can be brought on by several different factors. No one cause is universal to everyone. Some of the causes of dandruff are as follows:
• Dry skin – This is the most common cause of dandruff. It often occurs during the winter because convection heating removes a lot of moisture from the air.
• Oily skin – When the scalp is too oily it can create a condition called seborrheic dermatitis. If too oily, skin will shed from the scalp.
• Hygiene – Hair that is not regularly shampooed will build up oil and dirt that cause skin to flake and be shed.
• Psoriasis – Psoriasis is a skin condition marked by silvery or white scales on any part of the skin, including the scalp.
• Eczema – Eczema is another skin condition that can form on the scalp and cause dandruff.
• Hair products – Some people are allergic to the chemicals that can be in certain hair products. This sensitivity is called contact dermatitis. Besides flaking skin, contact dermatitis can cause inflammation and itching. Dandruff can also be caused by using too many products in conjunction.
• Fungus – Some types of fungus are known to grow on the scalp, such as malassezia. If malassezia becomes excessive it can irritate the skin on the scalp and cause more skin cells to grow that are immediately shed as dandruff.
Posted 3480 day ago