New User ? Sign Up  |  Sign In  |  Help
Strange Questions
Get the Answers at Strange Questions!
ask
answer
explore
Search for questions :
My Profile

anonymous

Resolved Questions Bookmark and Share

Do flies sleep?


4194 day(s) ago

    Comment(s) (0)
    Report Abuse

 

Larry

Best Answer

Yes, flies do sleep. About 60% of a fly's sleep occurs at night, and the remaining 40% consists of very short "naps" during the day.

In experiments, fruit flies have shown signs of sleep deprivation - flies that don't get enough sleep will later try to make up for it by sleeping longer or more often.

Scientists often study the sleep pattern of fruit flies as a means to learn more about sleep in animals and humans. Despite the numerous differences between fruit flies and other animals, there are striking similarities in sleep patterns and neurological behavior. Plus, compared to humans or animals, flies are much simpler and less expensive to study!

See The Journal of Experimental Biology for more info.

Posted 4192 day ago

( 1 )
( 0 )
    Comment(s) (0)
  Report Abuse
No comments yet !!! Be the first to comment on this answer !!!
 
   Find Interesting  
   Email to Friends  
   Bookmark  
   Subscribe to Answer Alert  
No comments yet !!!     Be the first to comment !!!

Email this question link to friends
Please enter e-mail address and name for each friend..
Friend #1 -
Friend #2 -
Friend #3 -
Friend #4 -
Friend #5 -
  Your comment on this question
Max Allowed : 5000 Characters Current Count : 0
  Your comment on this answer
Max Allowed : 5000 Characters Current Count : 0

Copyright © 2022 Terms & Conditions